Powered by Lycoming

About 80% of general aviation aircraft fly using Lycoming engines. Clearing the trees at the end of the runway. Leaving 4500ft for 6500ft. Maintaining airflow and generating lift across the wings. All are impossible without a reliable engine. Lycoming powers my training aircraft and so fuels my quest for a private pilot certificate. This blog is a record of my thoughts and experiences on life, flight, and learning.

25 August 2005

Smooth.

I flew this morning around 7:15AM, a much better way to start the day than the "Process Change du Jour" meeting. I think that someday I shall move to Montana, wake up to a large american breakfast, and fly my aircraft from state to state. Do they let you do that? Yeah, maybe if the security of our homeland doesn't depend upon it.

But, I digress....

5 landings this morning, and a go around in 0.9 hours of flight. It was fantastic weather, very smooth air. I loved it - normally my flying has consisted of late afternoon thermals & thunderstorm dodging. I was able to set up a couple of very nice landings, speaking my intentions to the barren Coshocton UNICOM wasteland. Sometimes I wish for some cool traffic - like a jet or a couple of experiementals with similar N-numbers to break up the monotony of announcing my flying intentions to the empty air. C'mon, people....fly some more!

I found myself rather high (800ft AGL) on the final leg of my 2nd landing, which I probably would've tried to put down mid-way down the runway if I hadn't read the most recent AOPA Flight Training article which recommended to make a go around if the approach wasn't just right. So, I rode the approach down to about 100ft AGL, slowly applied power, gradually raised the flaps and made a go-around. The next landing, I concentrated harder and greased it.

Smooth.

1 Comments:

  • At 1:19 AM, Blogger Sam Wiley said…

    "State to State .... no permits"

    "No permits."

    I think that I should like to have a large American truck, as well. :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home