Powered by Lycoming

About 80% of general aviation aircraft fly using Lycoming engines. Clearing the trees at the end of the runway. Leaving 4500ft for 6500ft. Maintaining airflow and generating lift across the wings. All are impossible without a reliable engine. Lycoming powers my training aircraft and so fuels my quest for a private pilot certificate. This blog is a record of my thoughts and experiences on life, flight, and learning.

27 September 2005

Sunset

I flew last Wednesday, logged 1.4hrs and 5 landings. It was extremely smooth air, great visibility, and there was an awesome sunset to boot. Wish I'd had my camera with me, but it probably wouldn't have done it justice, taking a photo through the crazed translucent plexiglass that is the pilots side window on 6-Golf. I practiced some S-turns, changing speeds and maintaining altitude, some point turns, and entering the pattern from different angles. It was very relaxing and helped me to get my mind off work for at least two hours:).

I did get to enjoy chatting over the vacant UNICOM frequency with one of my friends from church who is an aspiring missionary pilot/mechanic. He was practicing short field landings on some of the grass strips in the area, getting ready for that jungle flying. After we landed, I talked at length with him about his upcoming interviews with missions organization and his hopes to be serving in the mission field early next year. Right now, he is with Missionary Maintenance. It's really a great ministry, preparing and maintaining the mechanics and aircraft that missionaries depend upon to spread God's word around the world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home