Powered by Lycoming

About 80% of general aviation aircraft fly using Lycoming engines. Clearing the trees at the end of the runway. Leaving 4500ft for 6500ft. Maintaining airflow and generating lift across the wings. All are impossible without a reliable engine. Lycoming powers my training aircraft and so fuels my quest for a private pilot certificate. This blog is a record of my thoughts and experiences on life, flight, and learning.

07 October 2006

Steamer!

Sitting in a conference call yesterday, I heard it. A five tone steam whistle! My ears instantly perked up and I glanced at the clock. 12:10PM. Time for lunch. Since the call was over, I ran outside and looked up and down the railroad tracks. No train. Hmmm...........did I miss it? At that moment, the whistle blew again, and it was coming from the direction of the East Coshocton spur. Quickly, I ran and got in my car and sped off to see if it was too late or if I coul get a good look at a steamer. Crossing the East Coshocton spur very carefully, I looked down the tracks and saw my target. I drove down the alley alongside the tracks and snapped a couple of photos. I really can describe what it's like to be standing about 10 feet from a steam engine as it is huffing and puffing it's way down the track, blowing the whistle with the bell going ding-ding-ding-ding-ding......it's just enough to bring this huge grin to my face. I wish that I could have a job where I flew an airplane to different locations where I would drive a steam train. That's what I need to do.....until then, I'll just look at the pictures and remember the sights and sounds.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home