Powered by Lycoming

About 80% of general aviation aircraft fly using Lycoming engines. Clearing the trees at the end of the runway. Leaving 4500ft for 6500ft. Maintaining airflow and generating lift across the wings. All are impossible without a reliable engine. Lycoming powers my training aircraft and so fuels my quest for a private pilot certificate. This blog is a record of my thoughts and experiences on life, flight, and learning.

03 May 2008

Cross-Country to Linden, NJ (KLDJ)

This past week was a busy one. I flew with Dad out to Linden, New Jersey (KLDJ) for a tradeshow appearance at the Meadowlands. We were scheduled to leave on Monday via car (ugh. 9 hours in a car to New Jersey), because it was low, low IFR all across PA, but Dad came down with a bad cough and waws sick, so we postponed our trip to the following day. Tuesday morning arrived, and Dad was all hopped up on anti-histamines, so he felt good enough to fly. Also, the weather had moved on down futher east and south and the clouds over Pennsylvania were clearing up.

We got the plane all ready - during our last annual, we had an oil separator put on the engine, and does it ever make a difference in the cleanliness of the aircraft. Not only is the bottom of our aircraft NOT coated with a thick film of oxidized 20W50, but we don't have to add as much oil to the engine. Very, very nice....and environmentally friendly - Al Gore would be proud. We took off and climbed above above a nice broken layer at about 4000-4500ft MSL and headed towards Pittsburgh Class B. I neatly executed my very first Class B transition (thanks to Jason Miller of the Finer Points), and captured the momentus occasion on film (er..um..flashcard).

First Class B transition for me ever! I'd like to thank my wife, my parents, and my flight instructor.....

So, that was it. Inside Class B - it wasn't hard at all to talk to the yinzers at Pittsburgh Approach - they were very friendly and helpful (unlike Chicago Approach), and were happy to offer advice and information. They gave us a squawk code for flight following all the way to Linden, NJ. I liked them....or at least the specific controller on duty. So, I headed north of KPIT to Zelienople, PA where I picked a direct course to Linden, and climbed to 7500ft to stay on top of the overcast layer. It was fairly broken, and I kept monitoring the METARs in Eastern PA and NJ to ensure that 1.) It was VFR under the layer, and 2.) I would be able to get down closer to my destination. We cruised along and listened to the chatter - snapped a couple of photos of some powerplants along the way.

Plume from a power station along the Ohio River, pushing lots of water vapor up in the sky.

Another power station along the Allegheny River

We also flew over Geneva College in Beaver Falls, PA, where my brother, sister-in-law, and other good friends graduated. It's funny to think of all those students, rushing around, trying to get to their classes, stressing out about their finals, and wondering if they're going to find any girls after they graduate, and all those things...as I'm crusing serenely at 145KTAS over a mile above their stressful lives.

Geneva College, Beaver Falls, PA from 7500MSL

We continued on our way across PA at 7500ft, and as we got north of the Harrisburg TRSA, the sky started to become a rather full overcast. We talked to Harrisburg approach, and they had a 747 in the pattern doing touch and goes. Everyone was giving it a wide berth (as well they should). Going inverted because of wake turbulence would not be super-cool:). We started heading down through the clouds over Allentown, PA and ended up slipping under the New York Class B shelf.
Turning Base for runway 27 at Linden, NJ (KLDJ) over the NJ Turnpike

We entered the downwind for Linden, NJ (KLDJ) after monitoring the AWOS. It was windy - 14G21 from 310. Runway's at 27...so, we'll be fine. Well, the approach was a little dicey. There were aircraft on final for Newark International (KEWR) about 1000ft overhead, and there were a lot of ground obstructions to look out for - the ConocoPhillips Bayway Refinery, tall petroleum tanks and power lines on final for runway 27 at LDJ. As I neared the ground, the forward slip that I had the DA40 in took about all the rudder that I had. I made it on the ground, but it wasn't pretty.....and as I rolled down the runway, I say why. That windsock was standing straight out and was at 90° to the runway! It was the toughest landing that I have ever done....so, 14G21 from 90°......it was definitely exciting, that's for sure! I took a look over at Dad, and his knuckles were just a little white from gripping the sides of the aircraft. More exciting than Cedar Point!

Short Final for 27 at Linden - check out that smokestack!

After the tradeshow was over, complete with a dinner at Frankie & Johnnie's on the Waterfront in Hoboken, NJ (which is an excellent steakhouse, and apparently where "On the Waterfront" with Marlin Brando was filmed), we headed back west. It was a very nice evening for flying. Clear, relatively calm, and great visibility. We flew low (about 1000-1200ft above ground level) to stay under the westerly winds to make better time. We stopped in Lancaster, PA to fuel up, and then headed to Columbus, OH (CMH) to drop off a colleague and then home to Coshocton. It was a fun trip, and most importantly, we didn't have to fly commercial!

Butter Valley Golf Port (7N8) - Where you go from Cessna to golf cart.....All golfers in the pattern, please advise...FORE!

Butter Valley Golf Port (7N8) - a golfing/flying paradise! I'm heading back there someday.

Colorful sunset over the Susquehenna River south of Harrisburg, PA

Three Mile Island Power Station - Harrisburg, PA

Fading light over the Lehigh Tunnel on the Pennsylvania Turnpike underneath Blue Mountain

2 Comments:

  • At 7:27 AM, Blogger DB Wiley said…

    Dan,

    Well, actually why my knuckles were white was the left base turn to final and watching the high voltage power lines right near at the end of the runway. The cross wind was quite strong, but manageable and you handled it without blowing any tires.

    I suppose I am just not used to flying into an airport with so many power lines, roads, buildings, towers, smokestacks, etc. in or near the pattern!

    DB Wiley

     
  • At 7:39 AM, Blogger Delta Whiskey said…

    Neither am I! However, think about how many Linden, NJ pilots would freak out at having to land at a mountain flying airport like I40!?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home