Powered by Lycoming

About 80% of general aviation aircraft fly using Lycoming engines. Clearing the trees at the end of the runway. Leaving 4500ft for 6500ft. Maintaining airflow and generating lift across the wings. All are impossible without a reliable engine. Lycoming powers my training aircraft and so fuels my quest for a private pilot certificate. This blog is a record of my thoughts and experiences on life, flight, and learning.

03 October 2005

5000ft Turns


I had to climb to 5000ft today to see the sun clearly. Looks nice, doesn't it? I spent some time doing power turns at 45 degree bank angles. It was fun to try and maintain the same altitude throughout the turn. I was occasionally rewarded with a slight "bump" as I passed through my previous wake turbulence. Good stuff. I had a little hard time maintaining altitude through the left-hand turns, but right-hand turns were right on the money.

I tried a stall at 5000ft as well, but I couldn't get the drop. I slowed down to 45 mph indicated airspeed, with the stall horn wailing away....but I couldn't get manage the drop. The wing was buffeting slightly, so I know that I was in a stall condition, and I was losing altitude at about 100ft/min. I was looking for the stomach-in-throat, sphincter-clenching, 100ft drop at the end of the stall. Oh well, I'll try next time. Maybe I need about 10degrees of flaps to get the aircraft a little slower - I'll have to read up on stalls and figure this one out. It was still fun to fly along in a mushing flight mode at a high angle-of-attack. Just need some more time in that flight attitude to be a little more comfortable.

I logged another 1.0hrs, which now gives me 17.7hrs total, and 7.2 hrs solo time.

2 Comments:

  • At 7:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Congratulations on your solo!! You have slipped the surly bonds of earth yourself now. Are you Dan Wiley, Grove City grad? I'm Steve Kapetansky, Hillsdale grad (and veteran of 2 harrowing Toyota rides with Josh). I think I met you when you came to visit Josh at Hillsdale when you were a sophomore...

     
  • At 11:47 PM, Blogger Delta Whiskey said…

    Thanks! I indeed know about the harrowing Toyota Celica. it has been replaced with a rather funky-smelling Honda Accord wagon which has been dubbed the "Smokewagon" (as in "Skin that smokewagon and see what happens" Kurt Russell as Wyatt Earp in Tombstone). Still harrowing at times, however:). Do you fly, or are you merely a passing surfer courtesy of "the KING"?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home