Powered by Lycoming

About 80% of general aviation aircraft fly using Lycoming engines. Clearing the trees at the end of the runway. Leaving 4500ft for 6500ft. Maintaining airflow and generating lift across the wings. All are impossible without a reliable engine. Lycoming powers my training aircraft and so fuels my quest for a private pilot certificate. This blog is a record of my thoughts and experiences on life, flight, and learning.

30 October 2006

Autumn Golf

A little late on the blogging here recently...so I apologize to my extensive readership: sorry for the delay. Anyhoo...I have been enjoying some golf in the crisp fall weather of late. I think that early/middle fall may be one of my favorite times of year (well, aside from the blizzard that dumps 24inches of snow). The air is cool, the sun is bright, and the grass is a deep shade of emerald not to be matched by any human creation. The photo here is of River Greens golf course in West Lafayette, OH. It's the nicest golf course in the county, impeccably maintained and reasonably priced ($27 for walking 18). It also has the right mix of wide open fairways and challenging holes. So far, I have yet to break 100 on this course, but no matter my score, it is always a pleasant experience to just pace around the green, green carpet of the fairways...on my way to the rough under the trees to search for my ball among the leaves:). Two weekends ago, I was out with my dad and my father-in-law (aka The Outlaw). You can see The Outlaw lining up his putt in the image above. My wife's family was over for an extended weekend and we managed to avoid the Apple Butter Stirring Fesitval in favor of 18 frustrating holes of golf. Well, it was about 16 frustrating holes for me, because I did par two holes, but I flubbed the rest of them. What did Bobby Jones say? "The secret of golf is turning three shots into two" I think that I need to work on turning 6 shots into 5:). My Dad, shown here making contact on what turned out to be a very nice straight drive, has managed to turn that corner from double to single-bogey golf, despite my wise admonitions about "how hard it is to score that low consistently". You see, Dad was determined to be a bogey golfer after only one summer of playing. I think that he has successfully made that goal. We'll have to play some other courses and see if the play holds up when we're not playing on the home turf. Speaking of the home turf...it sure is beautiful, isn't it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home