Powered by Lycoming

About 80% of general aviation aircraft fly using Lycoming engines. Clearing the trees at the end of the runway. Leaving 4500ft for 6500ft. Maintaining airflow and generating lift across the wings. All are impossible without a reliable engine. Lycoming powers my training aircraft and so fuels my quest for a private pilot certificate. This blog is a record of my thoughts and experiences on life, flight, and learning.

23 January 2007

DA40 Lights

Here they are, in all their puny glory. The ultra-dim taxi and landing lights, courtesy of the engineers at Diamond Aircraft. Seriously, guys...I know that the leading edge is rather skinny....but couldn't you mount something more powerful on the nose cowling? Apparently, the DA40 was only meant to be landed on brilliantly lit runways at night. I don't think that I would ever be tempted to land on a grass strip with these wal-mart flashlight excuses for lights. Okay. I'm off my soapbox now. The DA40 is a great plane, great avionics, handling, performance, etc.....just needs better lights.

2 Comments:

  • At 8:40 PM, Blogger Sam Wiley said…

    So just convince dad to install some slick new HID bulbs ....

     
  • At 10:41 PM, Blogger Delta Whiskey said…

    Well....it's probably a little more complicated than that. I'm thinking HID power supply, weight and balance change, FAA certification, Secondary Type certificate...

    If we wanted to slap EXPERIMENTAL on the aircraft, we could probably just rob James' IS300 for his lights and UP's yer uncle.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home