Powered by Lycoming

About 80% of general aviation aircraft fly using Lycoming engines. Clearing the trees at the end of the runway. Leaving 4500ft for 6500ft. Maintaining airflow and generating lift across the wings. All are impossible without a reliable engine. Lycoming powers my training aircraft and so fuels my quest for a private pilot certificate. This blog is a record of my thoughts and experiences on life, flight, and learning.

08 April 2007

50hr Checkup

About 3 weeks ago, I traveled to Youngstown, OH (KYNG) with Dad to drop the DA40 off at Winner Aviation for the 50-hr check and oil change. I'm pretty impressed with the warranty preventive maintenance service that Diamond does in support of their new aircraft. We had a 25-hr check, and are looking forward to the 100-hr check. Basically, it's just a once-over of critical engine components and to check hidden bolts for loosening, or any leaks that might cause problems later on down the road. I have never seen an engine as clean as this one....well, except for the zero-timed IO-320 that Steve installed in his RV-6.

Dennis, one of the mechanics at Winner, treated our DA40 with care, and gave us great service. I was really surprised when I walked into Winner, and they had so many turboprops sitting around. They are a Rockwell Commander service center, and they perform factory-authorized Mistubishi MU-2 repairs. Most importantly, they are the closest Diamond-authorized service center to I40.
No problems were found, but Dennis noted some minor wetness on the gasket from the prop governor control. So, that was replaced under warranty in 15 minutes, and then they began the job of fitting the cowling back on. It's pretty tight - there's not much spare room under this cowl. In comparison, the extra space in a C-172 cowling could serve as a secondary luggage compartment!

2 Comments:

  • At 1:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I appreciate their care in using rags to avoid scratching the spinner on reassembly--nice and neat, like the aluminum guard strips I use to keep from catching bowel with my suture needle when I close the abdomen.

     
  • At 8:25 AM, Blogger Delta Whiskey said…

    Yeah, they treated her with care - good maintenance shop - didn't cut corners even though we were interested in a job done quickly. I can imagine that they've had experience with a type-A personality Columbia 400 owner with a scratched cowling before.

    I hope you don't leave those aluminum guard strips in there!:)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home