Powered by Lycoming

About 80% of general aviation aircraft fly using Lycoming engines. Clearing the trees at the end of the runway. Leaving 4500ft for 6500ft. Maintaining airflow and generating lift across the wings. All are impossible without a reliable engine. Lycoming powers my training aircraft and so fuels my quest for a private pilot certificate. This blog is a record of my thoughts and experiences on life, flight, and learning.

23 May 2007

Saturday Golfin'

Saturday, we got up early and packed the golf stick into 470DS and headed for KSGH for a nice round of golf with my father-in-law. We had talked about it and talked about it, but this was our chance. The love of my life was gone away all day in Michigan at a baby shower, so the boys were free to go play! We took off over the mist that had settled into the Muskingum River valley and dialed in the Direct-To for Springfield, OH. A couple of minutes took us over the ol' homestead - the 260-acre farm where we lived for 17 years out in the countryside around Coshocton. Cut a lot of trees down...and cut a lot of grass out here!
Dad wanted to gain altitude, so we climbed to 6500ft to slip over Columbus Class Charlie Airspace. We called in, got our squawk code, and enjoyed the views on this clear, clear morning. Downtown Columbus was very nice, and visible from over 50NM away. We were vectored towards KOSU, and the northern part of Columbus to avoid the departing commercial flights from Runway 28. We had a nice view of KOSU Don Scott airport, and the old neighborhood in Columbus where we used to live years and years ago. I used to sit across the street from the OSU airport and watch C152's for HOURS. Now, I'm 6500ft above the ground! It was like a "flight down memory lane".....okay, it was just a good excuse to go flying.
We began our descent into KSGH about 35NM out, and just for kicks I turned the runway lights on. It was early enough in the morning, so they looked cool on final approach. Springfield is a nice airport, but the dude behind the counter at the FBO on Saturday wasn't very friendly. I tried to strike up a conversation with him, but he wasn't having anything to do with it. Oh well, his loss.
We landed, chocked the wheels, and headed over to Windy Knoll Golf Club, which was a very well-groomed and nicely challenging course. I didn't have such a great day - I shot 111 for 18, but I had a great time golfing with both of my fathers. Then we headed to Chipotle for a Fajita Burrito (my favorite). It was a fun day, and a great day to do some flying!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home