Powered by Lycoming

About 80% of general aviation aircraft fly using Lycoming engines. Clearing the trees at the end of the runway. Leaving 4500ft for 6500ft. Maintaining airflow and generating lift across the wings. All are impossible without a reliable engine. Lycoming powers my training aircraft and so fuels my quest for a private pilot certificate. This blog is a record of my thoughts and experiences on life, flight, and learning.

08 June 2007

Ramp Checked!

On Friday, I went out to take N7016G up for the first time in nearly 6 months. The last time I had flown our Cessna 172 was on the way back from my checkride. Long story short, it had thrown a valve through one of the pistons (thankfully NOT on my checkride) and had been waiting at Dillons Aviation in Washington, NC (KOCW) for an engine replacement and fresh annual. I started walking across the ramp to the aircraft, and noticed a couple of guys closely inspecting the aircraft. The FBO line worker on duty said "FAA's here doin' ramp checks." Based upon everything bad that I had read about the FAA, I considered just waiting in the FBO until they went away. But then, I thought "I'm legal, and the plane is fresh out of annual - what do I have to worry about?" So, I walked up and introduced myself. The FAA inspectors were genuinely very friendly and very chatty, and I think that they were just glad to have someone talk to them and not run screaming away or hiding behind tie-down ropes. The two guys (both were named Wayne) asked for my pilot's license and current medical and the registration and airworthiness certificate for the Cessna, which I produced promptly. They looked over the whole airplane and didn't note any discrepancies, so I was pleased! I have to tell you, it wasn't bad at all, and I was actually glad to talk to someone from the big scary FAA and have a positive outcome.

Well, after all that fun, I went out to become legal for carrying passengers in the 172. 3 full landings to a full stop were completed, and it was like an old friend. I just kept instinctively doing all the right things - you spend 50+hrs in an airplane, and you really get to know it! We had a Powerflow Exhaust and RAM160 STC'd piston upgrade along with the engine overhaul. It was a hot, humid day - 32°C, and about 2800ft density altitude, but that bird climbed like a Diamond! I was seeing 1000-1200fpm climb rates at 80mph. It stood on its tail and headed for the sky. Truly amazing performance from a tired 172. It was also faster at cruise -- I trimmed for level flight at 2500ft and saw the speed creep up to about 125-130mph, which is about 5mph faster than I saw before the upgrade.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home