Powered by Lycoming

About 80% of general aviation aircraft fly using Lycoming engines. Clearing the trees at the end of the runway. Leaving 4500ft for 6500ft. Maintaining airflow and generating lift across the wings. All are impossible without a reliable engine. Lycoming powers my training aircraft and so fuels my quest for a private pilot certificate. This blog is a record of my thoughts and experiences on life, flight, and learning.

13 October 2005

Westward Ho!

I didn’t fly this week, mostly because I have been too busy at work. Hopefully that changes soon. However, this past weekend, I did take a short trip to visit family in Denver, CO. The real highlight of the trip was the flight to and from Denver. Um….I mean…..VISITING FAMILY of course! My wife & I flew out of CAK (Akron-Canton) (see Runway diagram) on a direct flight to DEN on Frontier Airlines.

CAK was quite a nice airport to fly out of…imagine, if you will…a terminal the size of a local supermarket with about 6-8 departure gates. It was very quick to park, the staff was friendly, and the security line only had about 3-4 people in it. After boarding the plane, we were #1 for takeoff (I’m assuming that the A319 with a scheduled flight plan took priority over the random VFR student pilot). Climbout from CAK was towards the east, on runway 5, with a sharp left-hand turn to avoid CLE airspace. Since Frontier has a live map on channel 13 at every seat, I could monitor location, groundspeed, and altitude. After completing a quick turn to a heading of about 270 (west), we flew at about 250-270mph, and 4000ft (~300ftAGL) for about 5 minutes or so. (see excerpt from Ohio Sectional below)

The pilot then applied more power and we climbed to about 9000ft and maintained about 270-290mph for at least the next 10-15 minutes. Around Mansfield, we climbed to 20,000ft and held, but only had about 350-400kts airspeed. It was only at about the Ohio-Indiana border that we increased power and climbed out to FL390 and increased our speed to about 480-520mph.

I understand the quick turn and the measures to avoid CLE, but why fly at 9000ft on a westerly heading across northern Ohio? I’ve flown with my dad across this flight path at about 8500ft, so it is possible that a pilot on VFR could be close to a commercial flightpath from CAK.

It was a beautiful day, and the skies cleared out near the Iowa/Illinois border. Visibility was excellent, and I could clearly see our flight path as we followed I-80 across Iowa and Nebraska. It was fun to look out the window and see the railway of the transcontinental railroad and the slow-moving caravans of train cars making their way across the great plains. I enjoyed the perspective from 39,000ft, but suddenly became hungry to explore those roadways again by car and by foot.

It was also a great day for picking up other aircraft - it made me wish that I had a nice digital SLR with a 300mm lens, so that I could get some nice resolution on air-to-air shots. I saw a FedEx DC-10 cross underneath, a KLM 747, a AA MD-80, and this UAL 777 that followed us for about 10 minutes, then descended and accelerated (I'm assuming that they had a better slot at Denver then we did).

Landing in Denver was fairly straightforward. We flew downwind to pick up runway 35R (the east-most runway at DEN), and I could just pick up the glide-slope indicator lights showing that we were on the 3° glideslope just as we turned to final. We taxied to gate A32 and deplaned. Then I got to drive into the blinding Denver sun on I-70, while watching out for the yuppies in their BMW X5’s and sorority girls in their Jettas (sorry, Sam). The lighting was awesome for photos, however...

Staying with family was great – and we stayed with my wife’s cousin (my cousin-in-law) and did all sorts of fun things. We went up into the mountains near Mt. Evans (Echo Lake), had BeauJo’s pizza, watched a pee-wee soccer game, went to a inner-city church on Sunday evening, played several all-out light-saber duels with a very tenacious 3-yr old and a very imaginative 6 yr old. I happened to have a strange recollection of several lines (search your feelings….Obi-wan never told you…let your hate flow through you….etc.) which made the duels even more authentic. I managed to get disoriented (NOT LOST) in a rainy Denver late at night, which made one 9 yr old girl very concerned and one 29 yr old girl very frustrated.

It snowed like a mother on Sunday evening and Monday. This was awesome! About 4 inches fell in Denver, and there was more up in the mountains and the plains were swamped with snow. Too bad that I didn’t have my snowboard! Our flight out was delayed due to all the snow by about 5 hours, which meant that I didn’t get back in to CAK until about 4:30AM. Tack on a 1-1/2 hr drive and I was looking at 1hr of sleep before work. I decided that if I went to sleep I would never wake up. So, there I went….like a zombie…to work. Should’ve slept. Correction. Should’ve skipped the flight, quit my job, moved into a storage shed in Dillon, worked at a ski lift by day and pizza shop by night and boarded all the time. Yeah.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home