Powered by Lycoming

About 80% of general aviation aircraft fly using Lycoming engines. Clearing the trees at the end of the runway. Leaving 4500ft for 6500ft. Maintaining airflow and generating lift across the wings. All are impossible without a reliable engine. Lycoming powers my training aircraft and so fuels my quest for a private pilot certificate. This blog is a record of my thoughts and experiences on life, flight, and learning.

21 May 2006

Saturday Crosswinds

Saturday was the first day without rain in 9-10 days...We had a huge low-pressure zone camp out over Chicago and the midwest for a while, and finally it cleared off enough to exercise the ol' Cessna 172. As you can see from the photo, there were several other pilots out enjoying the break in the weather. It was my first real practice with some 90degree cross-winds, so landings were a little on the challenging side. I practiced some nice long approaches, setting up a forward slip and getting those landings done right. It was definitely harder, and I do need some serious practice. No landings were a big problem, but I was having trouble flaring at the right time and getting the airplane on the runway at the spot that I was aiming for.

Coshocton is really green right now! It's just astounding to look at this place from the air and see how much it has changed since March (see photo below).

I captured this Beech King Air on short final, but my camera was having a hard time focusing in-between the bugs on the windshield (oops! Sorry, Ed!), so this is the best photo that I have. Hopefully, I can keep my eyes open and get a couple of better ones in the future.

The weather for Tuesday looks fantastic, so I'm looking forward to a nice long cross-country with my instructor. Until then...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home