Powered by Lycoming

About 80% of general aviation aircraft fly using Lycoming engines. Clearing the trees at the end of the runway. Leaving 4500ft for 6500ft. Maintaining airflow and generating lift across the wings. All are impossible without a reliable engine. Lycoming powers my training aircraft and so fuels my quest for a private pilot certificate. This blog is a record of my thoughts and experiences on life, flight, and learning.

20 April 2006

X-Country!


Here's the chart excerpt from my first cross-country! I flew from I40 to 10G to PHD and back to I40, which was 27+miles, and counts as my first cross-country time. I logged 1.3 hours, and had a great flight. Once you are up at 2500ft MSL off the end of runway 22 in Coshocton, you can practically see Holmes County. My instructor was relating a story of a previous student that got lost trying to find Holmes County, which is remarkably easy to find (345° and 8miles from I40). I'm glad that I've had lots of experience in the right-hand seat, looking at charts and helping my dad look for airports. I had no troubles at all.

Now, on to the landings....Landing at 10G was textbook, really, really good. My landing at PHD was a little more hairy. There was a pretty good cross-wind (60° @ 8kts, well, a pretty good cross-wind for me:)), and I had a little bit of a tough time flying the rectangular course...something to work on.

Overall, a good day. I've logged over three hours so far this month, which is a major improvement, and hopefully the good weather holds up!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home