Powered by Lycoming

About 80% of general aviation aircraft fly using Lycoming engines. Clearing the trees at the end of the runway. Leaving 4500ft for 6500ft. Maintaining airflow and generating lift across the wings. All are impossible without a reliable engine. Lycoming powers my training aircraft and so fuels my quest for a private pilot certificate. This blog is a record of my thoughts and experiences on life, flight, and learning.

08 March 2006

Landing Practice

Yesterday was such a beautiful day, I couldn't help but get out and fly. Clear skies, stable air, and low winds - it was probably the nicest day for flying this year. I managed to get a lot of good practice on landings and traffic patterns in, and setting up a stabilized approach. Here you see a photo of one of my later nice, stable approaches - note the white/red lights indicating the proper approach descent angle. I logged 1.7hrs of flying time, and made six really nice landings. There was another student in the pattern with me for three of the landings, so it was fun to fly around the pattern together. It's definitely more fun to talk on the radio when you know that someone is actually listening to your transmissions, instead of just chatting away into the empty air, annoying pilots three airports away.

I flew over the proposed site of the Coshocton Ethanol plant, and it looks like there is some dirt being moved. That might be the archeological survey being conducted, but someone is moving piles of dirt....I'll keep flying over there to check on the progress over the next few months. They are supposed to start breaking ground this spring, but the news has been a little on the slow side with reporting on this plant.

Finally, I captured a nice photo of another C172 Skyhawk on short final, as I was holding short, waiting my turn, staring into the setting sun. I wish that I had a nice camera with a longer lens to really capture this one....it had a lot of potential, and my sony point-n-shoot just didn't do it justice. It's still nice:).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home