Powered by Lycoming

About 80% of general aviation aircraft fly using Lycoming engines. Clearing the trees at the end of the runway. Leaving 4500ft for 6500ft. Maintaining airflow and generating lift across the wings. All are impossible without a reliable engine. Lycoming powers my training aircraft and so fuels my quest for a private pilot certificate. This blog is a record of my thoughts and experiences on life, flight, and learning.

17 December 2005

Annual


It was time for the annual inspection on 6G, and so I went up with Dad to see our C172 with all of the access panels open. We had the work done at Missionary Maintenance (MMS). I have helped a friend of mine pound thousands of rivets together to build an RV-6, so I had some inkling of what the internals of a general aviation aircraft looked like. It was pretty interesting - really, there's not too much to a Cessna but the airframe, a simple carbeurated engine, a vacuum system, an alternator, and some flight controls.

I have been around large commercial aircraft undergoing A, B, and C checks at Mexicana, Northwest Airlines, Air Canada, Delta, Aer Lingus, and others, and so I have spent a fair amount of time in aircraft shops, and I have to say that I was very impressed with the thoroughness of MMS. They really take a lot of time and seem to really pay a great deal of attention to small details. Of course, the annual inspection is a thorough process as mandated by the FAA, but you can tell the difference between someone that takes their job seriously and someone who is punching a time clock. I was impressed.

Here are a few photos of the airplane through the inspection...

C172 Cockpit with the seats removed, looking through the cargo door.


You can clearly see erosion of the used sparkplug versus the newer one.


View looking down the inside of the fuselage towards the tail.


Powered by Lycoming! A closeup of the cylinder head on the O-320.

1 Comments:

  • At 12:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Do you or your dad recommend doing the ACF50 or other corrosion blocking during annual? Some people swear by it, and others tell me it's a waste of money. Dunno.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home