Powered by Lycoming

About 80% of general aviation aircraft fly using Lycoming engines. Clearing the trees at the end of the runway. Leaving 4500ft for 6500ft. Maintaining airflow and generating lift across the wings. All are impossible without a reliable engine. Lycoming powers my training aircraft and so fuels my quest for a private pilot certificate. This blog is a record of my thoughts and experiences on life, flight, and learning.

20 October 2005

Amp up and Amplify!

Go to the AOPA website and register a comment against the proposed ADIZ (Air Defense Identification Zone) around Washington DC. It is important to know what the department of "homeland security" is doing and what this can mean for the average citizen.

Facts about the ADIZ:
•The ADIZ was created over a weekend in February 2003 as a "temporary" response to a heightened terrorist threat level.
•The ADIZ encompasses 19 public-use airports, more than 10,000 pilots, and 2,147 based aircraft accounting for nearly 900,000 operations per year.
•It restricts GA from the ground to 18,000 feet in an area almost 40 miles around Washington, D.C.
•The FAA has tracked more than 2,000 ADIZ violations since 2003. None have been terrorist related and all but one have been inadvertent.

Why should you comment? An ADIZ can happen any place, any time. When it does, pilots, businesses, and airports suffer. Here are just a few of the effects on the GA community around Washington, D.C.—don't let the same thing happen to you.

•Pilots frequently must hold as much as 45 minutes on the ground or in the air to receive the needed transponder code to fly into the ADIZ.
•Dramatic drops in business force flight schools and charter companies to close.
•Airports inside the ADIZ report losing tens of thousands of dollars every month.
•Pilots, fearing certificate action, stop flying.
•Transient operations drop by as much as 90 percent at some airports.
•Based aircraft without transponders and radios are grounded.

Maybe you think that "it's only Washington DC" It's not. It could happen at the Class B airspace in your home flying area before you know it. Do something.

3 Comments:

  • At 12:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    RIP the Toyota, long live the Smokewagon! Just stumbled on your blog and put 2 and 2 together and then got so excited that I used your real name--sorry, didn't mean to blow your cover (I'd make a terrible spy). Anyway, I'm a total plane nut (salivating especially over anything radial-powered), and nothing makes my hair stand up with prickly pleasure more than the distinctive but very faint sound of a DC-3's twin beat somewhere up in the starry blackness of the Columbus night sky (doubtless some not-yet-shaving kid trying desperately to build up time on the midnight auto-parts runs to Detroit). Nope not a pilot yet, just the most frustrated earth-bound penguin ever. But I'm still in school and $4000 for lessons still buys an awful lot of textbooks. So I bum rides where I can (at Hillsdale Aero, my willing servitude was one hour of runway grass mowing for one-half hour of passenger time) and thrilling vicariously at other peoples' experiences, like yours And quite frankly, being able to hit your own turbulence on a single turn rocks. I hope I can match you on that someday soon. And I guess we unwittingly enjoyed the same things at the same time growing up. My high-school math tutor lived about a mile off the approach end of Don Scott's 14-32, and over the 5 years that I went to his house, I found it increasingly harder and harder to concentrate on log roots and infinite series when every Lear and Jetstar that screamed over the trees would rattle every dish in the house. It didn't help that he was an old retired North American engineer who used power curves, propeller vector diagrams, and landing gear impact analyses as homework problems for me. And yes, I know that Handbook of North American Aircraft well. I got so grief-stricken every time I had to return it to the Bexley Library, that I finally photocopied it, and those dog-eared pages are still on my shelf. Apparently, we both found out how traceable those pictures were, and to this day, when noon conferences get boring, I can still fill a marker board with fairly recognizable Skyhawks, Cubs, Stearmans, and Super Constellations, all dogfighting with each other.
    So it's a delight to find an old acquaintance AND someone with 100LL in the veins. I owe you a cold one when I finally get that license in my hands.
    Not much new in Columbus. Josh beat me to the graduation block: I still have about a year and a half til graduation from OSU med school. And where did you end up? I desperately requested assignment to Coschocton's hospital for the summer of my first year because I finally wanted a chance to meet the legendary family goats for myself, but, alas it wasn't to be. So I keep requesting assignment to the east (Licking Memorial Hospital this past month), hoping that somewhere along the line I'll end up in your backyard and can finally see the stunning smokestacks of the family organics plant.
    Anyway, keep the airborne stories coming. And I hope you like the following link as much as I do. I check it every night before bed so I can have happy dreams.

    http://www.flightlevel350.com/

    Keep those cylinders warm!
    Sierra Delta Kilo

     
  • At 5:57 PM, Blogger Delta Whiskey said…

    We don't have smoke:). I have checked out flightlevel350.com, and it is pretty cool - just sometimes the videos take a while to download. My drug of choice is Airliners.net. High-res aviation photos from people like me that are willing to stand around an airport to catch a glimpse of a cool airplane. Okay, I'm a geek.

    Go for Zanesville Bethesda - they are probably one of the nicer hospitals around, plus ZZV has a nice airport and you can take lessons at Parr. Good luck in Med School!

     
  • At 5:58 PM, Blogger Delta Whiskey said…

    Oh, and make sure you comment on the ADIZ!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home