Powered by Lycoming

About 80% of general aviation aircraft fly using Lycoming engines. Clearing the trees at the end of the runway. Leaving 4500ft for 6500ft. Maintaining airflow and generating lift across the wings. All are impossible without a reliable engine. Lycoming powers my training aircraft and so fuels my quest for a private pilot certificate. This blog is a record of my thoughts and experiences on life, flight, and learning.

18 November 2005

Ol' Thirty-Three

Okay, I know that this blog is supposed to be about airplanes and flying, so I apologize to the 1-2 people that give me the time of day. However, if you've been reading, you will know that I am interested in all things mechanical and engineerish. Planes are #1.....but trains are a pretty close #2......So, yesterday, I'm sitting in the control room looking at agitator speeds and pump flowrates and other stuff and I HEAR IT. The musical harmonies of a real, honest-to-goodness STEAM WHISTLE! This was no normal air horn from a diesel-electric locomotive! I jumped up, ran out of the control room, grabbed my camera, and booked it out to the railroad tracks running behind my place of employment.

Joy of joys.....wonder of wonders....could it be true? It sure was! Ol' 33 was doing some speed tests down the Ohio Central mainline in Coshocton. It was about 25°F out, so the steam was aflyin' - it looked really cool. Was I made fun of? You betcha. Did I get to stand 25 feet from a huge steam engine going "phffff-phfff-phff-phfff-phffff"? You bet your shorts I did! Man....Kendall and I decided at that moment we were going to quit our jobs, move out west, and be REAL engineers for the Union Pacific....hauling some big loads over the mountains. Pull the big trains, see the wild country, fight off indians, rescue pioneers, shoot banditos....it was gonna be great. Snap back to reality....what time is it? Time for another decant! Hey, Kendall.....is the steam on yet? Stupid freezing temperatures....

1 Comments:

  • At 2:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    OOOPS! Better them than us:

    http://www.99express.com/galleries/plane_ooops/plane_ooops.htm

    Take-home Lessons:
    1) Don't land your C-130 on a runway that is currently under repair. That can ruin your day.

    2) If your aircraft is not actually certified for amphibious operations, don't try it.

    3) Props make lousy buffing wheels.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home