Powered by Lycoming

About 80% of general aviation aircraft fly using Lycoming engines. Clearing the trees at the end of the runway. Leaving 4500ft for 6500ft. Maintaining airflow and generating lift across the wings. All are impossible without a reliable engine. Lycoming powers my training aircraft and so fuels my quest for a private pilot certificate. This blog is a record of my thoughts and experiences on life, flight, and learning.

30 October 2005

Saturday

Saturday I had to work. Yuck. Well, I normally don’t mind working on a Saturday, it’s just that this particular Saturday was perfect flying weather (12,000ft ceiling, 30.47altimeter, 15°C, winds 4-5kts) It was nice. Okay, it was freakin’ perfect. I was thinking just how nice it was for flying and how crappy it was that I was stuck with a pipe wrench in my hand, repairing leaks on a filtration loop at work. It was then that my Dad came by and said “Hey, I need a copilot.” I work with my dad, which is pretty cool, but being able to FLY with your dad is even cooler. Well, turns out we had an immediate need for some specialty stainless steel rod to finish a critical piece of equipment. This particular size of rod was only to be had at McMaster-Carr (source of all industrial happiness and goodness) in Aurora, OH.

This is why you fly. We made a few phone calls, hopped in the plane, took advantage of the beautiful day and solved a problem at the same time. 2 hours later, we were back on the ground with the parts. I got a little copilot time in (no PIC hours, darn it!) and had the opportunity to look out the window. The air was even smooth enough that my turbulence-avoiding pops didn’t climb above the inversion layer and we cruised at only 3000ft all the way up to Kent State (1G3). I’ve attached a photo of the final approach into runway 01 at Kent State.



On our way, I took in the colorful fall foliage and found a few things of note to share on my blog.

1.) I like the way golf courses look from the air. I like the contrast between the sand traps and the greens, and the way they look like the map on the back of the score card. The pattern of the course is neat, and the trees cast cool shadows on the ground. This particular golf course struck my eye, mostly because of the water and the brilliant colors on the forest next to it.


2.) I’m glad that I don’t live in a neighborhood like this. I know that it might suit some people to live in the Wal-Mart, mass-produced M/I Homes or Dominion homes neighborhood, but definitely NOT ME. There are no trees, no variety, just row after row of the same disposable, vinyl-covered, cookie-cutter, 2x4 wooden monuments to American consumer culture. Dream homes?…..whatever. Frank Lloyd Wright would be turning over in his grave.

3.) Does this guy have a cool house or what? “Hey, honey…I’m just going to taxi across the street and fly to Don Scott for a gallon of milk” Talk about the setup! Nice-sized pond, nice-sized airport….what more could a man want? Uh….I guess a couple of nice powder-covered runs out your back door.. From what I can read of the charts, I believe that this private airport is Stolzfus. It’s just east of Wooster, Ohio…maybe I’ll retire somewhere like that. Now, to talk the wife into buying a level piece of land, about 10 acres by 50 acres.....Hmmmm.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home