Powered by Lycoming

About 80% of general aviation aircraft fly using Lycoming engines. Clearing the trees at the end of the runway. Leaving 4500ft for 6500ft. Maintaining airflow and generating lift across the wings. All are impossible without a reliable engine. Lycoming powers my training aircraft and so fuels my quest for a private pilot certificate. This blog is a record of my thoughts and experiences on life, flight, and learning.

05 December 2005

UK2002

Ran across a couple of old photos today of a trip I took to the UK in 2002 for my job, and thought to share some of them. I used to work for a 2nd tier aerospace supplier as a customer support engineer for commercial aircraft wheels and brakes. Sounds exciting, huh? Well, it generally was - it also required some amount of travel, which was pretty fun. In summer 2002, I spent two weeks in the UK and had a blast. basically, I went around collecting data for service problems, looking at failed parts, and interviewing shop managers. In a typical two weeks, I would visit several customers, Monarch, JMC, Air2000, British Airways, Aer Lingus, Virgin, Middle East Airlines, deliver a presentation on service fixes, go out to lunch, perhaps conduct some training associated with a new service letter or bulletin, deliver new replacement parts, and a host of other good will gestures towards our customers. It was fun, and I got to hang around airports all day!

Sunrise at London Heathrow (LHR)

Big row of heavys!

A321 wings are a long ways off the ground!

Right hand drive diesel VW Passat. Does it get any better?

Brake overhaul training

1 Comments:

  • At 12:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You look like the only one having fun. A little puzzled by the brake assembly, though. Are all those pistons plumbed to a single master cylinder, or is there a separate reservoir for each piston? And what exactly do they shove against--one big rotor? Sorry, I never paid any attention to heavy brakes before.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home