Powered by Lycoming

About 80% of general aviation aircraft fly using Lycoming engines. Clearing the trees at the end of the runway. Leaving 4500ft for 6500ft. Maintaining airflow and generating lift across the wings. All are impossible without a reliable engine. Lycoming powers my training aircraft and so fuels my quest for a private pilot certificate. This blog is a record of my thoughts and experiences on life, flight, and learning.

24 June 2006

Cold Front


Thursday evening, as I was walking out the front door of the ol' cough syrup factory where I earn an honest day's wage, I was struck with awe at the quickly moving cold front right above me. I've never seen clouds like this, but the high pressure compression band between the two air layers was clearly evident, as the storm that was moving in had some serious speed behind it. It was moving at probably 45mph, and was just snowplowing the leavings from the last cloudburst out of the way. Super cool. You could see thousands of feet up the crevasse in the clouds, it's kind of hard to see in the photos, but it was perhaps the coolest weather formation that I have ever seen in Coshocton. I'm glad that my feet were planted firmly on the ground, because it was not very good flying weather. I kept thinking as the rain started to pound down, "what would it be like to be flying and be caught in something like that?" There would be a tremendous amount of wind shear and it might rip the plane apart. The forces of weather are indeed awesome, but pale in comparison to awesomeness of the Creator. When Jesus comes again, riding on the clouds of glory, what an awesome sight that will be! I'll be sure to have my Sony Cyber-Shot out and ready for that one...do you think that we will have 10 mega pixel cameras in heaven?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home