Powered by Lycoming

About 80% of general aviation aircraft fly using Lycoming engines. Clearing the trees at the end of the runway. Leaving 4500ft for 6500ft. Maintaining airflow and generating lift across the wings. All are impossible without a reliable engine. Lycoming powers my training aircraft and so fuels my quest for a private pilot certificate. This blog is a record of my thoughts and experiences on life, flight, and learning.

20 July 2007

More Vacation!

Yesterday, we went canoeing down the Platte River to Lake Michigan in the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore. It was a shallow, sandy-bottomed river that wound through the pines through a lake to end up at Lake Michigan. Despite having to navigate around floating cities of tube-riding water buffalos, we managed to avoid capsizing and incurring any serious marital struggles. It was a beautiful ride, and really reminded me of paddling through Kibble Lake up in Canada. It made me remember a lot of the trips that I took as a young child up to Northern Ontario, where we spent most of the time in a canoe, or in the water in one way or another.

On Tuesday, we took my nephew, Adam out to a par-3 course down the street. He was really excited to be able to play on a REAL course, and actually didn't do too bad. He shot a 56 for nine, which was very respectable!

Today, we played the golf course down the street, Mistwood, which was surprisingly very nice and well manicured. There were a lot of tough approach shots, narrow greens and bunkered fairways. We picked up the "after 1PM" rate, and played 18 holes. I scored very well - 44 on the front, and a not so hot 51 on the back, but I was pretty pleased with my playing because the course was so challenging. It's not often that I break 100 on an easy course! I would've scored a 41 on the front, but I four-putted the green on the 9th hole. Frustrating! The back nine was a series of bad second shots, coupled with 20+kt winds. They were really a factor when you were pitching towards the hole - changed many a shot from bad to good and good to bad. My new driver, a Cleveland HiBore driver, which was my birthday present from my golf-crazy parental units, performed quite nicely, putting out a couple of nice 270yd drives. I can't believe that I've been playing with persimmon woods for so long! It was a really nice course, and a wonderful day to be outside playing.

Beth enjoying the brisk breezes by the shores of the West Grand Traverse Bay

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home