Powered by Lycoming

About 80% of general aviation aircraft fly using Lycoming engines. Clearing the trees at the end of the runway. Leaving 4500ft for 6500ft. Maintaining airflow and generating lift across the wings. All are impossible without a reliable engine. Lycoming powers my training aircraft and so fuels my quest for a private pilot certificate. This blog is a record of my thoughts and experiences on life, flight, and learning.

16 April 2007

A Blustery Day

I kind of wanted to go flying today, but it was just too windy out! Winds today were between 18-20kts on the surface, gusting to 24-26kts. Crazy. Even tonight, when stuff usually calms down, it is crazy windy. Even at 6000ft, there is a 60+kt wind heading southeast, which would've been awesome if I was headed to the Outer Banks.
It was even stronger at 12,000ft - 65-70kts, which was making some serious turbulence over the Appalachians. Maybe it's not true Rocky Mountain Wave....maybe it's just Junior Mountain Wave.....I still don't think that I'd want to experience what these pilots reported. Moderate to severe at 8000-10,000!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home