Powered by Lycoming

About 80% of general aviation aircraft fly using Lycoming engines. Clearing the trees at the end of the runway. Leaving 4500ft for 6500ft. Maintaining airflow and generating lift across the wings. All are impossible without a reliable engine. Lycoming powers my training aircraft and so fuels my quest for a private pilot certificate. This blog is a record of my thoughts and experiences on life, flight, and learning.

28 August 2007

Flying the Junker

Not the Junkers JU-86, mind you.....just a 1969 Cessna 172K. After many hours in the DA40, it is a big difference to strap on the narrow aluminum airframe of the cessna. I really miss the visibility, but I'm extremely comfortable with the flight characteristics of the 172. It's really a good airplane. I logged 2.1hrs in that ol' familiar aircraft yesterday, flying up to Youngstown to take the DA40 up to Winner Aviation for the 200HR check. I took off before Dad, and was about 3-4 miles off the end of the runway as he took off in the DA40. We flew at the same altitude, and it took him about 20-30 miles before he caught up with me and passed me. We were chatting in the air, Dad was getting 116kts ground speed and I was only getting about 102kts. Needless to say, I was second on final at Youngstown. The visibility was great and CAK approach was friendly - thanks guys! I picked up three full stop landings, including a nice slipped approach, so I'm current for the next 90 days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home