Powered by Lycoming

About 80% of general aviation aircraft fly using Lycoming engines. Clearing the trees at the end of the runway. Leaving 4500ft for 6500ft. Maintaining airflow and generating lift across the wings. All are impossible without a reliable engine. Lycoming powers my training aircraft and so fuels my quest for a private pilot certificate. This blog is a record of my thoughts and experiences on life, flight, and learning.

01 June 2008

Edenton, NC

I've been frightfully busy at work and at home, and haven't had a chance to catch up on my flying blogging...or blogging flying....which is it? Well, two mondays ago, I flew down to Edenton, NC, right on the Albemarle Sound. I had just gotten back from our trip to Hilton Head Island, and was right back in the plane for a trip towards the eastern end of North Carolina.

Today was a special day, because I was traveling in a small airplane with my brother Joshua for the 3rd time in my life! Trip number one was when we were both very young and I remember taking a night flight over Columbus. Trip number two was when we were older with one of my friends and after a couple of stalls (which I thought were really exciting), Joshua didn't feel the same way about them. Trip number three was a beautiful, perfect clear day, and we were flying over the appalachians, over the Shenandoah valley, and down along the ocean. It was a very beautiful flight, one that I will have to take again soon, and really special to have my older brother along in the airplane...hopefully, he'll be interested to take a few more airplane rides in the future. For our trip, we had very favorable winds for the trip down - almost a direct tailwind at about 40kts. It was awesome, and I managed to record my highest level ground speed of all time - 193KTs! I'm still waiting for that elusive 200KT level flight club.....of course, I'll probably need 50kt tail winds for that one....have to keep my eyes peeled for the high tailwinds aloft!

After being in Hilton Head for a couple of days, it was a pretty cold morning for the middle of May. Temperatures in the morning were only 41°F, and as we climbed through 4000ft over Cambridge, OH, we ran through some precipitation that sounded and looked like snow! Of course, I didn't believe that it was really snow with all the global warming going on, so it must've been fluffy chunks of rain or something. We headed down past the Ohio River and into the wild, wonderful wilderness of West Virgnia. The part of West Virgnia that we flew over is a really beautiful part, but very desolate and devoid of towns and people in general. Not a lot going on down there! Since I wasn't flying, I didn't have a lot of foreknowledge about the trip or the terrain that we would be flying over, so it was a pleasant surprise that we were flying over the Dolly Sods and the Shenandoah Valley and national park! Those places are really beautiful places, and hold wonderful memories for me - fun places that I have been with my brothers.

Check out the view! What a panorama from 8500ft! (taken over the Dolly Sods)

Flying over the Dolly Sods and Spruce Knob Wilderness at 8500ft - 40kt tailwind!

Shenandoah National Park from 10,500ft - Lush, green mountains!

Closeup view of the Blue Ridge Parkway - it's a really beautiful highway over these mountains, with incredible views on either side!

The Rappahannock River, near Port Royal in Virgnia

Farmland in North Carolina, next to the Albemarle Inlet - 60NM from the Barrier Islands.

The historic town of Edenton, North Carolina - taken just as we're entering the pattern at KEDE

Turning final for Edenton - Lined up for Runway 1! Where's those life jackets.......

It's just a slight crab....short final for runway 1 at Edenton

A very unique sight from the air - a ski and golf resort in a bowl-shaped mountain

The four-season resort of Massenutten, VA - what a unique location!

Seneca Rocks, West Virginia - Trad climbing mecca of the Appalachians.

Dolly Sods on the return trip - where did those clouds come from?

River Greens Golf Course in West Lafayette, OH - getting close to home!

Approaching on the 45 for runway 22 at Coshocton - we're home!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home