Powered by Lycoming

About 80% of general aviation aircraft fly using Lycoming engines. Clearing the trees at the end of the runway. Leaving 4500ft for 6500ft. Maintaining airflow and generating lift across the wings. All are impossible without a reliable engine. Lycoming powers my training aircraft and so fuels my quest for a private pilot certificate. This blog is a record of my thoughts and experiences on life, flight, and learning.

28 September 2007

Last flight in N7106G

Well, it finally sold. N7106G has a new home in Bay Minette, AL (1R8) training wet-behind-the-ears Navy Cadets. Today, I left in the early morning (around 6:30AM), on a long trek in the trusty Cessna 172 from Coshocton, OH all the way down to the Alabama gulf coast. My flight plan was 650NM, but it was shaping up to be a beautiful morning. We were two days into the waning full moon, so there was plenty of light at night, but a large cold front came through on Thursday evening, leaving a wake of low-lying fog scattered in the hollers and valleys of Ohio, Kentucky, and Tennessee. Things were good in Coshocton early on Friday, but because of all the thick fog, I decided to leave a little later, so that some of the fog would burn off in the rare event that I would need to set the Cessna down in some redneck's whisky still in Kentucky. You can see the mist that gathers and collects in the lower valleys. I took this photo near Hazard, Kentucky. It was really beautiful, and my camera really doesn't do it justice. The way the mist was rising and moving slowly made me think of those verses in Genesis where it talks about the spirit of God moving upon the face of the deep. Well, Hazard, KY isn't the face of the deep.....but it's definitely backwoods. My first gas stop was in Rockwood, TN (KRKW) about 60NM north of Chattanooga, and about 20NM west of Oak Ridge. I considered flying over Oak Ridge, just to get a photo, but I really needed to be down in Bay Minette. I really love flying over the Applachians early in the morning on a clear day. It really hard to describe the awesome beauty of these lush mountains as they emerge from the mist. You'll just have to ponder the pictures....

Looking East at the Kentucky/Tennessee border

Instrument Approach, anyone?

Looking South towards Knoxville, on the descent into Rockwood (KRKW)

Entering the pattern for Runway 4 at Rockwood, TN (KRKW)

It was a pretty quick turn at Rockwood. Just 21gals of gas after flying for 2hrs 45min....only about 8gal/hr! It sure pays to lean it out! The 172 performed beautifully.....very strong with the new pistons and the powerflow exhaust. Gaining an extra thousand feet of altitude was...dare I say...almost as effortless as the Diamond? Well, it is about 600-700lbs lighter with one person and half-tanks at this point in the flight. After refueling, I took a look at the winds aloft, and was seeing about 30kts-35kts at 3000-4000ft headed due south. Well, as soon as I took off, I grabbed ahold of that wave, and surfed it down out of the mountains over Chattanooga, where I was seeing ground speeds as high as 145KTs - in a 172! The winds petered out around Talladega, where my flight plan took me coincidentally right over the famed speedway! I wonder if you can fly in there while a race if going on......

Gentlemen, Start your engines! I've got a 130KT head start on those NASCAR boys at Talladega.

Alabama clouds from 8500ft

While I was whizzing over Chattanooga, TN, I was really astounded at the number of Nuke power plants that were along the Chattanooga river. There were at least three that I counted within a 40-50NM area. I managed to get vectored over one by Chattanooga approach - enjoy the view, Kendall! I guess where you have free cooling water, why not?


It was a pleasant 5.5hrs flight down to Bay Minette......now for the frustrating portion. I left Bay Minette, AL via Cessna 172 at about 3PM EDT. It's now 8PM EDT, and I've just been told that my last leg from Charlotte to Columbus is delayed. It will likely be 7-8hrs to fly back commerical. Did I mention that I love flying myself? Plus, you get to talk to controllers. Plus, you get cool "secret" codes to squawk....I love being a pilot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home